Our first-grade students are busy learning how to read in Greek and are doing wonderfully!
They have learned so many words!
The high-schoolers are tackling more difficult reading material and also translating lenten recipes from Greek to English. Here is one of those recipes.
Rotini with Eggplant Sauce
(translated by the 2014-15 HTGOC Greek School with
gratitude to Mrs. Vefa Alexiathou)
3 lbs eggplant
¼ cup oil
2 cloves garlic
2 lbs ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
2 tbs catsup
20 drops tabasco sauce
¼ cup finely chopped basil or mint
¾ lbs Rotini pasta
Non-dairy shredded cheese (optional)
- Cut the eggplant into small cubes.
- In a strainer, salt the eggplant and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Rinse and press down to release excess water.
- Fry lightly in a deep fryer.
- In a large pot add the oil and saute the garlic lightly.
- Add tomato, tabasco sauce and catsup.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- When it’s almost ready, add the herbs and eggplant.
- Boil the rotini for 8 minutes in salted water and 2 tbs of oil.
- Drain and serve in warm plates with plenty of sauce and non-dairy cheese.